Sunday 1 November 2020

Bright Lights Cold Nights





Second week in bedsit land and the boiler has gone bong, meaning no heating and hot water. Memories of the winter of ’92 are flooding back. At present, the temperatures are still creeping into double figures and this property is double-glazed. Therefore, the frosty glaze remains on the outside my window, when I don Lycra and head out for a 5am ride.

Cold showers and a vanishing toilet seat are less welcome, although said facilities remain superior to that infamous East London property 28 years back. Indeed, its 28 years since I bought my first LED light. A rear, two mode Vistalight that was essentially a reflector on steroids but a huge leap ahead of the basic, heavy filament lights that were the norm then.  

Enter these Magicshine See Mee lights. I have the 200, 180 and 100 versions on my test bench and am seriously impressed. The highest figure refers to the “Braking function” which kicks in for three seconds when their motion sensor detects deceleration/similar changes in momentum.

Formative impressions suggest these are too sensitive, triggered by washboard tarmac and longer climbs, thus putting a noticeable dent in run times. Thankfully, they can be switched off. “Braking” lights have become more popular but most I’ve used seem prone to these quirks, so I’m not singling the See Mee range out, per se.

The flashing modes are very effective and relatively frugal, across the board. The 200 also has a tracer light, a secondary diode that casts a 360degree flood at the road, to highlight bike and rider-again, fantastic in terms of presence and my inner child has grinned at the novelty value.

Talking of which, these are competitively priced. The 200 costs £33.99, the 100 £25.99. (At the time of typing, I’m not sure of the 180’s rrp). For the time being, I’m sticking with the Continental Contact Speed Reflex. These continue to impress with their tarmac hugging prowess, low rolling resistant and magic carpet ride quality. To my surprise, the Lezyne Floor Drive track pump’s gauge has expired. I’d had it for some years and it’s a really solidly made unit.

I didn’t want the hassle of buying and installing a replacement gauge, so I went the standalone route and this Topeak Smart Gauge D2. The only potential weak spot is the sprung head. I liked the original Smart Gauge, which came my way some 16 years back, which was a little simpler and had a press on head that would automatically morph to a Schrader, or Presta valve.

Alas after a few years faithful service, mine imploded rather dramatically. A backlight function would be rather handy, say when getting back on the road following a flat-my SKS Air Checker (in storage) has one.

Some would say for the same price, I could’ve bought another track pump but that would be wasteful, since the Lezyne is really well made and a standalone gauge is not only portable but the most accurate. Elsewhere, on the protective/winter front expensive crank arms can get a spanking. These Zefal Crank Armor https://www.sevendaycyclist.com/zefal-crank-armor  are an inexpensive way of protecting them from dings, stones, and other accidental damage. However, they won’t guard against unsightly toe-strap rub and may present compatibility niggles with some cadence sensors.

I was stunned to discover Control Tech are ceasing production of the Silicone bar tape, which I’m astonished, since performance is top notch, in all conditions. 155g (uncut, including CNC machined ends) might be a touch portly for bikes on calorie-controlled diets. However, for mile munching tourers, gravel, and winter bikes, there’s so much going for it.  Need something bike-themed to read as lockdowns come into force? This might fit the bill https://www.sevendaycyclist.com/northbound-down 


    







No comments: