Monday 20 May 2024

Reflections & Refinements





 



With the miles racking up and confidence in the Dawes increasing, I was able to enjoy its brisk, yet predictable persona and push it quicker along the lanes. The slightly wobbly rear wheel wasn’t causing any issues at this point, although obviously, I wanted a tweak on the jig- only at that point would I revise the rear brake’s setup.  

 

Everything else had settled down, although I wasn’t surprised to discover the quill stem wedge moving very slightly. Nothing, a more liberal turn of a 6mm Allen key wouldn’t cure. I pulled over mid ride to correct- no sense leaving it and I had a nice long 6mm bit handy, courtesy of the Cyclo 20 function multi tool CYCLO 20 FUNCTION MULTITOOL | cycling-not-racing (sevendaycyclist.com) 

 

A minute or so later, tool was back in the SQR Tour, and I was spinning home at a nice cadence. Talking tools, here’s Steve’s review of the Wolf Tooth EnCase System Bar Kit One Multi Tool Wolf Tooth EnCase System Bar Kit One | cycling-not-racing (sevendaycyclist.com)   

 

I’ve bought another 9 function Giant Continuum Wireless Computer. Yes, this one’s also pink. I like these since they’re easy to set up, intuitive to use and via my supplier, gentle on the wallet.    

 

No need to tweak the Microshift/Tiagra tag team at this stage. I may well upgrade Ursula’s Tiagra, post refurb, only because the existing mech has done a lot of work, year-round and if I’m rebuilding the bike, it seems silly to scrimp unnecessarily. However, I’ll clean it up and “take a view” from there.  

 

The weather has become more temperate, dare I say summery, so I’ve been able to get the miles in and reach much firmer conclusions regarding the Cycology Men’s Summit Long Sleeve Jersey and the Castelli Espresso Men’s Jersey.  

 

Both are very competent and true to some big claims, the Espresso is a lovely go-to. £130 certainly isn’t cheap and there are several competitors. However, some costing a good deal more. I’m hoping truing will address the braking issues, but I’ve also acquired a pair of these Suntour SE (Self energising) rear cantilevers, which I last recall from the late 1980s. They were something of a curiosity and rather like the XCD group (which I was also fond of) and in this instance at a price, seemingly impossible to resist.  

 

With their arrival, I’ve ordered some more straddle wires, since I had gone through my last supply and the Suntour weren’t supplied with any (not that I’d expected this). I’ve gone for Transfil, since they were favourably priced, and the brand are known to me. Transfil produced a very effective (if stubborn to fit) sealed brake and gear cable set but they also produce cables for the automotive industry.     

 

I’ve been warming to the Ergon SR AllRoad saddle, though not exotic materials-wise, it's not exotic, but very well executed, providing support in all the right places thus farThe rear cutout has me curious and induced some laddish suggestions involving flatulence relief.  

 

According to Ergon, the “Deep Relief Channel” is, like others designed to relieve unwanted pressure. This design deepens progressively, leading to a small cut out. The design apparently gives greater “forgiveness” to the perineal region, while the hole’s positioning apparently overcomes some of the pitfalls of bigger cut outs.  

 

The obvious one that springs to mind is a very soggy crotch riding sans full length mudguards-gravel, adventure and cyclo cross bikes being obvious examples. It is noticeably deeper than I’ve traditionally come to expect and seems more than clever marketing thus far. One rider suggested the rear cut out was designed to protect the rider (indeed, stoker if fitted to a tandem) from fart reverb. I gave the sideways glance, but my inner child sniggered a bit  

 

The Ergon will stay on the fixed for now, until I get the Dawes bedded in and refinements sorted. To a point where I can do something close to proper gravel and cross type off road duties. At that point, I’ll switch the rear wheel to a 42mm Continental Contact Plus. As I’ve said throughout, it's all part of the bonding process. Glad I had instated the Giant computer, missed being able to glance down and check my speed, distance and similar informative stuffI didn’t want an overly cluttered, congested feel to the bars either  

 


No comments: