Monday 27 May 2024

Flashes of Inspiration







One thing led to another as it always does. I’d returned from a wet, early Saturday morning saunter on Denise and found myself compelled to clean the teal temptress- It had been a wet, mucky week’s riding…Out with the stand, buckets, and brushes. Before I knew it, the rear wheel was out, Continental Contact Plus substituted for the Maxxis Ravager 

 

I decided then was the time to tackle the USE SX seat post strip and re-grease. Cable tie around the post, I slackened the collar bolt and shuffled it free. Access to the elastomers and related bouncy bits was via a tension dial in the base and a 5mm Alen key.   

 

I’d already brought the Peaty’s Speed Grease PEATY'S SPEED GREASE | cycling-not-racing (sevendaycyclist.com) along in readiness and within easy reach. Slackening the cap, I wasn’t surprised to find it ejected from the post base and across the concrete. Mercifully, it didn’t go the whole hog and vanish into some inaccessible point. I shied away from stripping the unit completely (quitting while ahead being the mantra here). 

  

Casual inspection suggested that while it had been a while since the post was serviced, everything was in surprisingly decent shape. I directed a generous squeeze of Peaty’s Speed Grease into the elastomer and reaffixed the tension cap, adjusting carefully.   

 

Saddle resting on my recycling bin lid, I pressed down on the post, assessing the amount of travel. A few compressions later confirmed a much smoother action, so I added some more Wolf Tooth Grease to the post and slid it back into the seat tube.  

 

Correctly aligned and checked, I snugged the collar bolt to 5nm and refitted my characterfully faded SQR tour.  Grimy patina gone from the bar tape, bike gleaming, a light coating of Muc-Off Miracle Shine Wax to finish.   

 

The petulant beep from my clothes drier signalled the end of this impromptu fettling session before I could get too engrossed and the balance tip negatively. 630am the following morning, Denise and I were out along the lanes.  

 

Greasing the post’s internals rewarded with plush, refined and progressive damping, while the Ravager, despite running at a gravel typical 30-60psi were still relatively swift at their recommended maximum, while offering a compliant ride through the green lanes.


I stuck with the Specialized Crossroads up front, as a control for the first week before switching to the Ravager. By this point, I was satisfied everything had bedded in nicely, so whipped the rear Ryde/XT wheel down to Mick at Madgetts Cycles, so he could work his magic.  


Wheel out, I suddenly had an inexplicable urge to find the other, pink cum purple skewer. One that had graced the Teenage Dream’s hubs from 1994 to 2009. Purely for aesthetics. Might save a few grams into the bargain but it’s the early 90s aesthetic to compliment the otherwise neutral colour scheme.   

 

They’ve a nice closure action, tooMaybe it was me yearning for a supposedly simpler time- time spent chewing the tech at Bob’s Discount (Bike dealers) on Ilford Lane. Misguided if I was. These were equally challenging times, pressures of study, a perceived lack of direction beyond that, faux friends, toxic romantic relationships into the bargain.  

 

Obviously, there were some strong positives but let’s not get misty-eyed about these things. It's merely that I was struck by and still like framesets and some components/designs from that era. A lot of things have also improved greatly since then-holistically.


I like disc brakes, but cantilevers still have their place. They’re simple, lightweight, powerful. Same goes for Dual pivot calliper brakes and while both have lost favour in recent times, I don’t believe the rim brake will disappear.    

 

More importantly, once the wheel’s true, I can get the rear CX50 and pads toed-in nicely. I’d tweaked the saddle height, raising the post a few millimetres. It was more or less bang on before but again, it's what those formative rides and weeks are about-fine tuning.  

 

Doing so has also provided some added clearance between tyre and Carradice SQR Tour. Thankfully, the weather’s been nice enough that I’ve been able to get some miles in on the Holdsworth too. I’ll end here with my review of the Cycology Baja Cap Cycology Baja Cycling Cap | cycling-not-racing (sevendaycyclist.com)    

 


No comments: