No, I’ve not taken the recumbent
trike route, I’m referring to my mighty Bob Yak homage. I acquired mine in 2008
and ultimately sold my genuine Yak in 2009. Main reason being I preferred the
homage’s hitch mount, which seemed more secure and less faffy than the Yak’s. The homage's grey finish wasn't bad by factory standards, but the boys at Maldon Shot Blasting & Powder Coating blasted and treated it to a chrome effect powder coat
makeover back in 2019.
Single-wheel designs with swing
arms track very nicely, so impact upon handling is minimal-although don’t
forget its there-especially if you’re navigating rush hour town centre traffic.
Both designs employ bargain
basement, but serviceable wheels. Replacing the OEM knobbly tyre for something
better quality and road-centric also makes a huge difference in terms of
handling and rolling resistance.
I also needed to check the
pattern skewer purchased a few months back was a precise fit. Spoiler alert, it
was. Much to my relief, the trailer’s spring mechanism mated perfectly. Patterns have improved considerably- cleats being prime examples. However, they can still prove a lottery in
the “fit where they touch” sense. Ursula
usually does the tugging duties and handsomely. However, Denise is a little
sprightlier and aside from testing the pattern skewer, I was keen to see
whether my theoretically optimal gearing held up in practice.
55psi all round,
everything securely attached, I headed out in search of some dung- I’d spotted
bags of the garden elixir dotting the roadsides at various points on earlier
rides. Didn’t want to make a special trip, rather combine collection with a
longer meander. Big ring and middle of the 11-25 block provided sufficient
torque for 17mph cruising and save for some additional weight and the odd
bounce when crossing battle-scarred tarmac, I wasn’t conscious of the trailer.
I should also point out that I’d
applied some Juice Lubes Slick Juice to the swing arm bearings and also took
this opportunity to apply some Zefal Pro ii Grease Zefal Pro II Grease
| cycling-not-racing to the wheel’s quick-release skewer. I was never keen on the mudguard-same applied
to those fitted to Bob Yak’s, so removed it. I’m wondering whether a zip-tie “Arse
Saver” type might be the way forward. I know there’s a couple in the spares
boxes…
Huge bag of equine dung spotted,
grabbed and carefully settled into the trailer; I about turned and set off
along the lanes. For the most part, the 36x26
and 11-28 block provide a decent amount of torque. However, a lower bottom gear-30-32
sprocket would be good insurance for the knees and longer ascents. I’d noted a
couple of medium cage Tiagra Mechs, so indulged, since prices were favourable.
Oh, that reminds me, a parking brake of some
description is always a good bet when pulling over to stop. Scrap inner tube
isn’t glamourous but easily carried and very effective. A rubber O-ring mount-typically found on
lights, computers etc is a more discreet option for engaging a brake and
holding the plot steady.
I’d been getting some decent
miles in with the Leatt Trail 6.0 Clip In shoes and have been pleasantly
surprised by their blend of power transfer, walkability and breathability.
However, they are a little hefty. While comparing their soles with some others
loosely of the trail genre, I decided it was time to compare and contrast, so
switched to these FLR MXT Vibram Trail Shoes FLR MXT
Vibram Trail Shoes | cycling-not-racing .
These are a narrower design with
slightly stiffer soles, which translates as improved power transfer. Trail in
this instance is closer to gravel and rough stuff touring rather than mountain
biking ( That said; I’ve used them to good effect in the latter context). Continuing
this narrative, the soles perform equally well on narrower pedal platforms,
such as these Shimano XTShimano
Deore XT PD-M8100 Pedals | cycling-not-racing and Wellgo MO94B WELLGO MO94B SPD PEDALS |
cycling-not-racing and Leatt’s
Endurance 6.0 Clip In Pedals Leatt
Endurance 6.0 Clip in Pedals | cycling-not-racing.
The Leatt and similarly broad
models with more compliant soles are arguably the best union with designs such
as this M530 and PED ED500 Shimano PD ED
500 Pedals | cycling-not-racing . Temperatures
in the mid-thirties lead me to conclude the Leatt Trail 6.0 have an edge on the
breathability and comfort front, but I’ve never felt unduly toasty in either. No
hot-spots or similar discomfort, for that matter.
Elsewhere, I was surprised to
discover that the Cyclo Advanced Tyre Removal Tool has ceased production.
Definitely one of my favourites and all the more disappointing since I’ve lost
the head on mine. However, Weldite had one doing something close to nothing, so
graciously sent one my way. Just as well, since I found the Nutrak Swift Frenzy
impossible to fit with traditional levers. By contrast, the Cyclo steamrollered
them aboard effortlessly.
I’m running Specialized’s
Crossroads EX at the rear as a control for now and will go this route for 150
miles or so. At 683g, they’re slightly lighter than the 2.25 section CST patrol
but rolling resistance, especially on metalled road is palpably lower. The tread pattern is very gravel-specific and
reminiscent of WTB Nano TCS WTB Nano TCS Tyre |
cycling-not-racing, so it’ll be interesting to see how they cope across the
board, particularly in muddy conditions...
No comments:
Post a Comment