After some deliberation, I
happened upon a medium cage 10 speed Tiagra rear mech at a very favourable
price, so indulged on the basis it would come in handy. Whether Ursula’s
existing and long serving Tiagra turned sloppy, or I fancied running a 32 tooth
rea sprocket for some additional winching prowess, when towing a trailer, or
heavily laden panniers. Of course, it arrived and needing a break from the
screen, I elected to switch things around. A simple job. I’d not touched the
short cage mech save for minor adjustments, cable replacement and cleaning
since Ursua’s refurbishment two years ago. The frame mounting bolt proved a
little arthritic, so I squirted some MO94 and allowed it to seep in a few
seconds.
The last thig I wanted was to risk the frame
thread’s integrity. The bolt released easily and I was pleasantly surprised to
find some Oxford Mint Assembly Grease Oxford Mint
Assembly Grease | cycling-not-racing clinging to the threads, but another
reminder about regreasing at least annually. I reached for the Zefal Pro ii Zefal Pro II Grease
| cycling-not-racing this time round, which I’ve found a very durable,
corrosion resistant default.
Cable connected, chain fitted,
everything seemed to be moving up and down the block snappily enough while
Ursula was held by the Topeak Flashstand e Up
Topeak
Flashstand eUp | cycling-not-racing . Proof of the pudding is in the
riding, so I hopped indoors for some food and headed out an hour later. Much
the same story for 10 miles and then some clicky hesitation. I initially
thought this might be a b screw tweak, something I’d tackle upon my return…
Upon powering away from a
concealed junction, I was serenaded by a loud ping and loss of power transfer.
Inconvenient, but an easy fix, provided you’ve some spare links and a magic
link connecting pin. Oh, and a chain tool. In this instance that belonging to
my beloved Topeak Alien ii. Five minutes later and we were homeward bound, harmony
restored.
Another mixed terrain ride the
following morning confirmed this. Rains- heavy showery interludes struck and
though I’d left out sans micro jacket, the cooling precipitation felt delightful after
several weeks of sustained intense heat and drought. It also presented the
perfect opportunity to see how hydrophobic the Leatt glasses and shoes were. I also
treated the long-serving short cage Tiagra mech to a seriously deep clean. It
wasn’t obviously mucky.
A liberal blast of Muc-Off Chain
Wax Cleaner Muc-Off
Chain Wax Cleaner 500ml | cycling-not-racing quickly flushed out embedded
wax from the derailleur's inner sanctum and jockey wheels, resulting in a
shallow, oily pool, which was strangely satisfying. I'd treated the mech’s
inner sanctum to a further stiff brush tickling for optimal effect. Rinsed,
dried and a shot of MO94 Muc-Off
MO94 Multi Use Spray | cycling-not-racing later, inspection revealed the
mech was mobile and slop free, so was popped in the drivetrain spares box.
I'd been experiencing some
intermittent disc tickling (as distinct from rub) at the rear and had reached
the conclusion it was down to friction, specifically attributable to the
galvanised steel cable that was used since it was "in stock". Some
further wandering around the web suggests the 287's design is another
contributory factor. I've had no problems up front, although the cable run is
much cleaner and I'm running a pre-lubed premium grade stainless inner wire.
I noted a little additional
stretch at the cable, so pulled it through, and dialled the lever's 2mm nipple
screw down to ensure complete release, theoretically eliminating drag. I'd also
ordered some replacement stainless inner wires, since they're a workshop staple.
Chances are, I'd be wanting to upgrade the galvanised stand-in due course,
certainly before winter.
An easy fix and a metaphor for
wider life. Sometimes things are a work in progress. Take a break but persevere
until you're speaking their language and have them sussed. Little breakthroughs
can be incredibly satisfying.
Continuing the sticky theme, the
sprung mount assembly on the Yak homage had gummed up, meaning they weren't
closing on the skewer hitch. Something that caught me by surprise on our second
laden outing. Just a question of easing them closed, then giving the sprung
components a liberal blast of MO94 upon returning home.
Snappier engagement and secure
tenure sorted, I could let rip and cruise in confidence, although I was
considering making a shim from old butyl for the skewer hitch to provide a more
tenacious, vibration- busting connection. With Denise's KMC chain registering
north of.5, I decided to replace and fit the medium cage Tiagra mech- another
straightforward twenty-minute job.
I'd acquired a replacement spring
kit with the trailer, just in case the original failed and replacements proved
hard to come by. The only minor niggle I've got with the mighty Topeak Uni
Super Tourist DX Topeak
Uni Super Tourist DX Rack Disc | cycling-not-racing concerns their pronounced
feet. These prevent me from tethering the Yak homage.
Now arguably most tourists would
run either panniers, or trailer, but there are times, say when running errands,
or collecting stuff when you'd want to pair the two. Since the frame only
features a single eyelet, I can’t position the rack higher, thus providing
suitable clearance. Hmm, I’ll reflect and consider my options.
I've also been putting in some
decent miles with the Leatt ProClip 6.0 Trail Boa MTB Shoes. Soles
strike a good balance of efficient power transfer and walkability- stiffer than
the Shimano GTX. For the most part, I've paired them with a traditional
cross-country spud, but wasn'’t surprised to find models with bigger surface areas the ideal marriage. I've gone for the dual side Shimano M530 and ED500, the
latter being a road-biased touring design- very solid and supportive, albeit
with a slight weight penalty.
Mud clearance won't match that of
a true cross country, or trail model, but still better than I'd expect. I've
had no issues clipping in/out, provided things aren't too boggy. They're also a
doddle to strip and service Simple Pedal
Overhaul | cycling-not-racing
Given twenty minutes along wet
roads, I wasn't surprised to find some water had crept in through the Leatt's
cleat drillings. Slightly damp soles with traditional merino blend socks, but
there's scope for waterproof designs, including these Muc-Off, which have been
firm favourites of mine and served me well through some decidedly wet, winter
rides. Staying with Leatt, I’ll close here with my review of their
Ride Viz Pro Small Clear PhotochromicSunglasses The
Leatt Ride Viz Pro Small Clear Photo | cycling-not-racing
No comments:
Post a Comment