Unclear at this stage whether
they'll relax any with time and use. I should point out I was able to mount
them to The Ryde Sputnik, but not the Mavic X17, although this also presented
an opportunity to tweak the Ryde’s Shimano XT hub bearings- I’d set them a
little tight during the last overhaul and hadn’t made time to correct this
until now. On went a fresh 12-28 cassette, since I was there, for super
convenient exchanges.
It will be a few months before I
can arrive at any definite conclusions in any case, especially when it comes to
their prowess in wet, muddy conditions. Nonetheless, thus far they're proving
quite frisky and grippy across a multitude of surfaces. No cuts, or flats as
yet, but all things being equal, I wouldn't expect so for at least a few
hundred miles.
On the subject of durability, I
was surprised to discover The Genetic Hi Grip Handlebar Tape Genetic Hi-Grip
Handlebar Tape | cycling-not-racing had expired, or rather the EVA backing
had separated from the top layer. Thankfully, I had silicones and others
"in stock". I ultimately reached for this Selcoff, which looks and
feels very similar to the Genetic.
I’d also decided to make a new
shim for Denise’s Exposure Revo Dynamo Lamp mount- the old butyl bodge was
looking a little tired and I’d found a better candidate while hunting some
fasteners. Pruned and snugged to the recommended 3nm-one of those simple, yet
strangely satisfying serendipitous jobs.
The continued drought conditions
also mean I've not been able to test the waterproof properties of this Lomo
carry sack, which I'd been sent to pair with my Yak homage. The original carry
bag, though made of a waterproof fabric, has stitched seams without welding or
taping. Consequently, rain will always find its way inside-not ideal on a
supermarket run, let alone a week’s tour.
Staying with trailers a moment,
I found an old front mudguard (fender to those of you in the US and Canada) and
modified it slightly before securing via the trailer bed’s quick release and a
couple of zip ties. The M Part Ridge
Rack is doing its thing competently and without fanfare-much as I’d expected.
I cited some issues with the design’s proportionately shorter arms, and I’d like to see a revision, but if your frame(s) didn’t have the full four-point mounts, there are neat alternatives to the humble and generally effective P-clips. Now, Ursula’s frame threads are in good shape thirty years down the line.
However, if your chosen frame is
otherwise good (maybe you had it refinished a couple of years back, but carrier
threads are a bit weary), a seat clamp with rack mounts, such as this M Part
could prove an inexpensive, reliable way forward. The other possible option is to have
the threads repaired using a heli-oil kit. Personally, this could be tricky, since there's not a lot of metal here. I’d leave that to an
experienced shop mechanic or framebuilder. Especially if you weren’t familiar and comfortable with tapping
threads.
Thoughts have also returned to Ursula’s
stem. The existing unit is functional, proves the 45-degree angle was correct
in practice. However, it's also a little crude.
While indulging in some reader's
rides type porn, I happened upon Velo Orange's Happy Stem, which is 45 degrees,
available in silver or black and 90, or 110mm lengths. I'd be needing the 90mm,
wanting the black and being want, rather than need, I'll defer gratification,
shift some unwanted stuff on eBay and reflect accordingly.
Otherwise, I'm very happy with
the series of subtle revisions made over the past few months. I’ve experienced
shoulder discomfort or many years. This was largely rectified through a bike
fit back in 2008, which determined that my legs are of identical length, but my
right femur is longer, creating an imbalance. Insoles certainly helped, but,
like most of us, I’ve had the odd, sometimes brutal encounter with terra firma over
the past forty years...
As my late father remarked,
albeit in the context of motorcycling, it doesn’t matter how good a rider you
are, or think you are, you will always come off. My left shoulder has
communicated its frustration and disdain from time to time, requiring time on a
therapists' table to rectify. Mercifully, not too frequently, nor is it
indicative of a degenerative condition. Something that had crossed my mind,
some years ago, since my late father struggled with fibromyalgia in the last
years of his life.
Some people would suggest that
regret is pointless. A standpoint I understand, since we cannot change the
past, but we can change our relationship to it and not repeat the mistakes that
led us to that point. On the plus side, I read people and situations very
accurately and navigate accordingly,
Anecdotally, I have also noted an
increase in people seemingly unable to listen and look beyond a dogmatic prejudice,
or similar set of inaccurate assumptions. There have been many times in my life
(on two wheels and elsewhere) where had I assumed, I would’ve been dead or left
with life changing injuries. That young
woman walking along a dirt road…Is she in the third trimester of pregnancy, or
is she packed with plastic explosive…
I’ll close on a happier note with
Steve’s review of POC’s Cadence Jersey POC Cadence Jersey Mens' |
cycling-not-racing and Leatt’s
Therma Flow Hoodie 3.0 Leatt
MTB ThermaFlow Hoodie 3.0 | cycling-not-racing
No comments:
Post a Comment