This is a principle I generally
apply in broad strokes terms, not simply to bicycles, but is particularly
relevant in this context. For some years now, I’ve tended to work potential
changes out on paper first, evaluating the pros and cons before committing
myself. Product testing is a different kettle of fish. Manufacturers and
distributors sometimes send stuff on spec and I’ very receptive to “lucky
dips”. I’m referring to matters such as braking, steering and gearing. In the
latter context.
I’m staying with a 2x setup.
A third ring will barely get
used, so will just add weight and complexity. 32x22 rings coupled with a 12-28,
or 12-30 cassette provides sufficient range for most of my riding contexts.
Sure, a 48 ring would offer some bombing prowess but spin-out isn’t something
I’m struggling with. Even with the trailer and decent cargo en tow, there’s
sufficient torque for 17mph cruising and faster descending without loosing out
on the climb. A well-honed cantilever, or cable operated disc setup has
sufficient bite for 20 odd kilos and 1in 7 descents-provided you’re not in
Kamikaze mode.
On several occasions, I’ve toyed
with ideas of upgrading to a more expensive cable-operated disc configuration.
However, aside from some quirks, especially when it comes to setup, the Spyre
and SLC are still very simple to work on and provide enough bite. Hydraulics
have been another recurrent temptation. More bite, lower maintenance but set up
and servicing are not as straightforward as some suggest.
A well-equipped local bike shop
is worth their weight in gold and, all things being equal. would be only too
happy to setup and maintain. However, even the best maintained components and
bikes can malfunction, often at the least convenient moment. All I need carry on
a cable-operated setup are a suitable multitool, spare inner wires and some
pads. The latter I’d save for a big ride, or tour but you get the idea.
Talking of touring, I’ve been
getting some more serious miles done with the M Part Ridge Rear Pannier Rack
and continue to be impressed with its generic compatibility. By that I mean its
plug and play compatibility with most mounting hardware, including Rixen Kaul,
this Lomo Zeyphr Lomo
Zephyr Waterproof Panniers | cycling-not-racing. Topeak’s Handleloc system
found on their Pannier Drybag 16litre The
Topeak Pannier Dry Bag 16 litre | cycling-not-racing required some shims
(binding some old butyl around the rack tubing has similar results). Either
way, reliable union is readily achievable.
While I’ve had no heel clearance or similar
issues with 20 litre models, I am forming the opinion the rack’s angular
profile is optimal longer, narrower designs, such as the Topeak and Oxford Aqua
V20 Single Pannier Oxford
Aqua V20 Single Pannier | cycling-not-racing The top section is slightly
broader than its Summit cousin, which came as a pleasant surprise and makes it
a better host for rack top bags.
I am a proponent of powder coated
finishes-at least well applied, good quality powders. The satin black looks
classy and more importantly, is holding up well against the usual fitting and
removing. While I wouldn’t get unduly concerned about the everyday wear and tear,
beyond a certain point, I’d be inclined to have it refinished along with some
other parts (to keep things cost effective). Prevention is always better than
cure. Dressing the rails in old butyl tube, or electrical tape largely renders
this a moot point.
Talking of dressing, the
temperatures are slowly tempering and dropping to more seasonally typical
figures. Layering is the most obvious, time-honoured solution but some
manufacturers, including Castelli offer apparel designed to bridge the gap
between summer and early autumn.
Contexts where it is typically
temperate, but it can turn cool, or damp during the course of a ride. A packable
jacket helps protect against wind chill, showers and more persistent rainfall;
arm warmers keep short sleeve jerseys practical when temperatures fluctuate. ¾
lengths divide opinion, but my when the temperatures are dropping and they’ll
dry quicker than tights when the heavens open. Much will depend on how long
you’re out riding but a cap and liner gloves and a buff can come in similarly
useful.
Rains have brought the
temperature down and meant bikes get grimier. Perfect for evaluating the Juice
Lubes Slick Juice Grease’s staying prowess and of course, the brand’s bike wash
and concentrate formulas.
Chains are still dressed in the All-Mountain-Style
Miami Glide Chain Wax The
All Mountain Style Miami Glide | cycling-not-racing and I see no reason to
switch until October. By that point, I suspect I’ll be pensioning off Muffin’s
KMC Z510 HX in favour of a Z1 Inox SEVEN DAY CYCLIST'S 3000
MILE TEST OF A KMC INOX CHAIN and
test lubes aside, likely defaulting to Weldtite All Weather Lube Weldtite All
Weather Lube | cycling-not-racing . The All-Weather Lube is less tenacious
than stodgy wet formulas, but cleaner, requires no curing time and is easily
topped up.
No comments:
Post a Comment