Monday, 20 July 2026

Bicycle Aikido


 











During the long and sometimes very hot summer of 1987, I acquired a copy of Bicycling Magazine’s Bicycle Repair. The opening chapter discussed Bicycle Aikido, which though a gross oversimplification, basically meant working with, rather than against components. Working things out and using appropriate force. Knowing how to hold the bike and tools correctly, for best effect. If you feel resistance, back off, if it’s coming together nicely, go with the flow.

Obviously, things like torque wrenches are far more prevalent, affordable to most home mechanics, so reduce the likelihood of component damage. That is, if they’re used correctly and with similar mechanical sympathy. I thought I’d long since consigned my copy to charity shops, or similar outlet. I was pleasantly surprised to discover it nestling between some other cycling publications from that decade, including Richard Balantine’s.

Black and white photographs, straightforward instructions/guidance. So straightforward, it led thirteen-year-old me, armed only with a spoke key into a false sense of security. I successfully turned a very minor wibble into a wildly wandering wheel. Fast forward 39 years and I’d been doing a fair bit of dirt road exploration aboard Ursula-one that led to me discovering a rave at 1030 in the morning, not to mention a chance encounter with Spiderman.  By this point, I’d reached my conclusions regarding Topeak’s Handleloc system and fancied quicker passage across metalled roads, so switched to Denise.

On one particularly hot afternoon, I decided it would be prudent to apply some Juice Lubes Slick Juice to the USE seat post and Hollowtech II axle. Two easy little jobs-regular “while I think of it” greasing keeps things mobile and happy. I found one of the pinch bolts unexpectedly arthritic, so gave that a more generous lick of grease and snugged both to 13nm, rather than the maximum 14. Seatpost removed, I took the opportunity to blast some more corrosion inhibitor inside the seat tube. Given temperatures exceeded thirty degrees, this would flow beautifully around the frames’ inner sanctum and cure rapidly.

Though friction is palpably lower than traditional greases when spinning the cranks, I’m not sure whether the Slick Juice is neck and neck with Peaty’s Speed Grease PEATY'S SPEED GREASE | cycling-not-racing, but I’ll reserve judgement for now. Will be interesting to compare their staying prowess, too. For context, I’ve needed to replenish Peaty’s Speed Grease every six months, rather than the 9-12 typical of stout lithium-based formulas.

Personally, I find partial stripping and re-greasing more convenient than wholesale, annual tear downs. However, I prioritise a stodgy, hell n’ high water blend for headsets and contact points-at least on winter bikes, mountain bikes, tourers and others serving in more challenging conditions.

Following on from my comments about subtle stockpiling of consumables, someone waved a KMC Z1 EPT chain under my nose along with some replacement Shimano pattern cleats-both at very favourable prices, so I snapped them up.  Chances are the Z1 EPT will replace the fixed’s Z5 come November when conditions will be wintrier and the Z5 will be due its pension. Staying with chains a moment, I’m still very impressed that the All Mountain Style Miami Glide Chain Wax’s temperature stability, even when temperatures have been in the mid to high thirties.

No gooeyness, nor does it transfer readily to hands and a consistent 250- 280 miles per application is similarly impressive by wax standards (150-180 miles is more typical) in generally arid conditions and allowing for the odd showery interval. I’m hopeful these qualities will increase drivetrain life, longer term and am planning on defaulting to it until October, unless conditions dictate otherwise.  

Sometimes the best products are the ones we default to, simply because they perform well and let us enjoy the ride. I am privately something of an obsessive, I’m intrigued by how stuff works, performance gains, that sort of thing but they’re the last thing I’d want to discuss during a ride, save for a casual aside, café’ stop break etc.

Other people’s machines, the human element, the stories behind them etc, yes, but I wouldn’t want the duration of a ride, or conversation to be rooted in component choice, or technical specifications.  Much the same goes for motorcycles, photography, and anything else I’m involved with.

Some technical chat is absolutely fine and often very relevant but quickly becomes tedious if it's someone’s only line of curiosity, or conversation. Then again, I’ve never needed to be centre of attention, nor do I talk about myself, although I am consistently told that I am intriguing and maybe I like that air of mystery…I’ll close here with my review of the Topeak Pannier Drybag 16 Litre The Topeak Pannier Dry Bag 16 litre | cycling-not-racing  and Castelli  Ultimate Sun Protection UPF Jersey The Castelli Ultimate Sun Protection UPF | cycling-not-racing

 

 

 

 


No comments: